Friday, October 5, 2012

Life Hinged On a Book and a Prayer

Yes, it's another post about reading to our kids.  I have to keep learning the lesson that reading to them at bedtime is truly a treasure.  Even when I try to skip it, the kids bring us back to it, and it's so worth it. 

Yesterday was a long day in Mommyland. As everyone came home from work and school I found myself tired and a bit shaken. It was a day of experiences that challenged what I thought I knew from food allergies to grammar, to cooking garlic bread, and it all seemed to crumble (literally for the garlic bread, whoops!).  We worked to get the kids in bed on time, but their hilarious-when-not-at-bedtime antics slowed the process.  I just wanted the day to end and for peace and quiet to fill the house.  I was going to just skip the books and turn off the light so I could rush into the end of my night, but then our second son asked, "Mommy, are you going to read Fox in Socks to Z and S tonight?"

"Maybe, why?"

"I was wondering if you could read it really loud so I can hear it from my room."  

My heart melted.  I know it's not about the book.  "N, why don't you guys just come into Z and S's room and we'll read it together." 

So we read Fox in Socks together.  And then Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  I turned the pages, N read the words, Z and S dangled off their beds to see the pictures, A listened nearby with Legos, and The Hubs lingered in the doorway.  After the books we prayed with our boys.  The Holy Spirit nestled among us as we prayed together for our day, for friends whom God has healed, for healing from allergies, and for each other.

It's amazing what taking an extra few minutes with a book and a prayer can do to wind down a house of busy boys!  Sweet relief came to my weary and anxious spirit.  We finally tucked everyone into bed and turned out the lights.  Conversations between the two rooms continued for a few more minutes, but for the most part the house was quiet.  The Hubs and I finished buttoning up the house together, talking about our day and strategizing the days to come, and then we went our separate ways.  I sat down to study grammar for home school in the den (and you can tell by my posts that I have a LOT of studying to do!), and he went to the other end of the house to study for seminary.

Friends: My day was messy. My house was messy.  I was messy. (I even donned the faded Mickey Mouse t-shirt and flannel plaid pj bottoms BEFORE dinner!...yeah...it was THAT kind of day). 

But as I counted my blessings after my long day, taking a step back to look at the Big Picture, I realized yet again: God is so good in His simple love and care for us.

I distractedly studied for a couple of hours and then closed the books. Walking to bed I passed the twins' room and saw through the shadows a sweet little leg dangling out of S's bed. I went in and smothered his sweet little face with kisses, he moaned, rolled over, and tucked his leg safely back into his covers. I checked on all of my boys and then headed to bed.  Even in his sleepiness The Hubs still put his hand on mine.   Be Still My Heart! 

During this "I think I can," season of my life, when I feel like the Little Engine That Could with huge tasks set before me, I am thankful for oasis moments like last night when the world seems to stop for a moment.  Things get WILD around here, but for just a moment it was still.  And now I'm off to start another day feeling renewed thanks to a book and a prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment